Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NIghtmares of A Passport Office Scolding!

Let me paint a picture. You are a person who keeps a mental inventory of all your personal belongings like Dell does over its components. You know where everything is all the time and rarely if ever have that "now where the heck did i put that" feeling. Also imagine that you have to go another country in 3 weeks and need your passport. No problem you think as you run home after work to take it out from the place you put it! Now imagine the horror you feel when the one place you put the passport does not hold the passport. Imagine that sinking feeling of knowing that you must look for this tiny flat object in a huge apartment and if you don't find it will have to deal with the slowest, most inefficient government office.

Well that nightmare came true for me about three years ago and the reason I reflected on it now, is because I am leaving for a trip to Ecuador and the passport I had gotten before that fated trip has four pages of amendments; enough to confuse the easily confused. The funny part of the story is the short but painful lecture I received upon speaking with the agent at the Passport office several years ago when I needed a replacement. It went something like this and put yourself in the "PRICE CHECK ON TAMPONS - AISLE 2" kind of scenario.

Passport Agent: Can I have your old Passport
Me: I am here for a new passport
PA: Have you ever had a passport
Me: Yes
PA: Do you have it?
Me: No
PA: Did you lose it?
Me: I didn't lose it, I just can't find it
PA; SO YOU LOST IT! Let me just tell you son, that a US passport is not a right, it's a privilege! Do you know how many people apply for Visa's and don't get them. You are an American Citizen. A member of the greatest country in the world.
Me: I know I am surprised I lost it!
<Her voice gets louder>
PA: Don't interrupt me, I am not finished. You are not only irresponsible but have now created a potential threat to the national security of this country. You have created an opening for some nefarious character to impersonate you and possible threaten the well being of my children. You are lucky that I am going to give you a new passport, but it will only be good for 6 months. In those six months if you lose it, you will not be granted another passport. If you are responsible enough not to lose it, then you may apply for an extension.
Me: Thank you ma'am
PA: You had better be thankful and count your blessings you don't lose it again!

And in case you think I am lying



No comments: