Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Interoperability, Intercompatability, Interchangeability, IPHONE?

I've noticed something about tech over the last couple of years that has really blown my mind. Is it really possible that many ofl the devices which comprise the bulk of consumer electronics have reached a state where they really can talk to one another without complex procedures. Just this morning, I plugged my Ricoh Digital camera into my computer via mini usb cable. After downloading all the pictures, i then plugged in my Cingular 8525 windows smart phone to sync up. Sometimes when I am on the go and need to charge my Ipod, I plug it into the same usb charger that I plug all my other devices into. So far I've done all this with one cable and one charger! Simply mind blowing! This past weekend, my brother's digital camera card was full, so I offered him the card from my cell phone; he just plugged it right in. And more convenient than ever is being able to post to this blog from my cell phone using my email address which is linked to my pop3 account all while adding text and picture attachments. Oh, did I mention that My ipod plays in my car, at work, and at home without one single adapter? It's all a standard 3.5mm jack. Now with Google documents, I can acces and edit all my stuff on a Mac and a PC. In case this hasn't hit you yet, never before has such interoperability been possible across such a vast array of devices.

So why do I throw IPhone in there? Because It's screwed up this whole formula. It doesn't take mini USB. It doesn't take Mini or micro SD. It's headphone jack is non standard. It's PC interface is governed by ITunes- so now software needs to be repacked from their regular CAB format. Dragging and dropping files can only occur through ITunes (unless hacked)

Not only is this a reason to not buy the IPhone, It's a great reason to have it banned from the consumer market!


No comments: