Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gentrification in Jersey City

Living in Jersey City has always been a love hate relationship. Quite honestly there is so much about it to love; proximity to the city and the hudson, access to great public transit and airports (even though Newark is hell on earth), a lot of character and history. However moving in at what is still an early stage, where every day I walk out my front door and see human filth and garbage on the streets really puts a knot in my stomach.

Not forgetting that when I decided to take the plunge and move into an area like this, I accepted the reality that not for another 5 years would I see any significant turn around. Well Three years in, things are really changing. Streets are being repaved, big names like Trump and Goldman Sachs are really making an impact. And buildings that were once boarded up are being given a new life. This is the part that really makes a difference and makes me want to live here. I didn't buy in for instant property appreciation and profitable flipping I wanted to be part of something historic and great. Seeing human spirit drive people to restore formerly gorgeous homes back to their days of splendor is quite an inspiration.

Hope everyone is having a great tuesday.

No comments: