Monday, July 9, 2007

The Appeal of Linux

For as long as I've been alive...30 years to be exact...I recall hearing and seeing linux in just about every nook and cranny of the technology galaxy. However, as the years have gone by and it still has yet to hit mainstream (Talk of Dell offering Linux is a hope) it's really managed to meander into some strange places; possibly to provide as much face time as possible.

Take the Linux Dog for example. Its a very cool robot based on the sony AIBO but does it need Linux? I mean c'mon....all it needs to do is pant and bark (maybe sit up right)! I can do that with Radio Shack Components. It can't run very far because it's tethered at the back.

Maybe i'm beeing to myopic in my thinking.

Maybe they really are on to something....Maybe it's time to incorporate Linux into my Air conditioner. Think about it...It not only turns on and off with preset tempratures, but it could play MP3's and stream video. Maybe it could respond to voice commands. Linux powered coffee pot anyone? My electric shaver could benefit from Linux now that I think about it- Always wished i could hack at that thing to create some pulsating vibration.

Linux cheese grater...that's hot!

No comments: