Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"How come everything I think I need always comes with batteries."

John Mayer is a pretty cool guy in my book. I find his lyrics to be pretty witty, sharp and intelligent.  His music as well is rythmic yet melodic and soothing to listen to.  He also "gets me" which, I guess, is the real reason we have our favorite artists in the first place.

A while ago I heard a song by him which at the very end really made me reflect on my life. The song is called "something's missing" and it generally sings to the thought that with all the things we have in our lives something is usually missing and its the one thing we really need; especially clever in this day and age of "stuff". Best part of the song is at the very end he says "how come everything I think I need always comes with batteries".  That line caught me off guard the first time I heard it so I played it again in the conext of the whole song and realized that not only does he "get me" but he was freaking right. Everything I think I need in this life generally requires batteries. Does that make me shallow? I would like to think now.

The opinion of me, taken from others, is that I am a very caring person who takes a genuine interest in helping others. There are actually several people in my life who have followed my advice only to see greater success in their own. This is not only a powerful feeling but bestows a feeling of greating meaning on ones life. Yet my obsession with technology has left an inescapable black hole in my life. If I could give it up, I would do so in a heartbeat, because it clearly is a bottomless pit for time, money, and patience. However, I am addicted and somehow I derive so much joy from it which kinda makes it sound like a drug habit and does so even more when it complicates my life.

For example, I am sitting on the plane waithing to take off and am prohibited from using anything for the next 30 minutes. No pda, no phone, no camera computer or ipod,... I even tried to buy the printed word in form of a newspaper but they were sold out.

Paired with my hopeless obsesion/infatuation for tech gadgets is the fact that they all run on batteries, which no matter how hard I try either seem to die or breakdown all at the same time. Funny part is that when they do I am like a man in a row boat without a paddle feeling like  I have somehow lost control of my life.

Sometimes I think that if I were and artist my life would have be
en so much simpler. Brushes and paints are somehow never banned, never break, and never become obsolete

No comments: